Residential Refuse Collection
Broken Cart? Collection Service Questions?
To help the City provide safe, efficient service, you must follow
- Place refuse at curb by 6am on collection days, but
not before 6pm on the previous evening.
- Do not leave containers
at the curb on non-collection days. Containers must be kept
on your property.
- Securely bag all refuse, especially loose,
lightweight material that could scatter (plastic bags, packing
material) and organics
(food and pet waste).
- Drain and wrap garbage (food scraps).
- Securely wrap any items
that might cause injury or illness, such as sharp glass, light
bulbs or metal.
- Pour motor oil into oil-absorbent boxes before
placing in the trash.
- No liquids.
- No concrete, construction debris, soil or rocks.
- No radioactive
material. If someone in your household has received radioactive
medical treatment, waste such as tissue paper
and diapers may become contaminated through contact with that person.
Please contact your neighborhood collection yard. City
personnel will come to your house to test these items. A single contaminated
tissue can trigger the safety sensors at the disposal
facilities and require isolation and inspection of the entire truckload
- Broken cart? Please contact your nearest
collection yard. Our supervisors can often repair broken wheels or lid
otherwise, the cart will be replaced.
- Go to instructions for proper disposal
of Household Hazardous
In the manual collection system:
- Refuse should not exceed 75 pounds per container.
is responsible for providing containers no larger than 35 gallons.
such as plastic bags, may be used if they are able to contain the refuse
securely at all times.
In the automated collection system:
- Place all refuse inside the cart. Only refuse in the cart
can be picked up.
- Do not overload the cart. The lid should
be closed to avoid spillage.
- Place cart directly at the curb
with the handle away from the street. Allow at least 5 feet
clearance from fences, lampposts, fire hydrants, mailboxes, parked cars and
other obstructions. Do not block access to or park vehicles in
of the cart.
- Recycle green waste and mixed recyclables in the
green and blue carts. Do not use your gray refuse
cart for items that could be sorted for recycling. Do not use your recycling carts for trash. See list of recyclables
Broken cart? Collection service
the Refuse Collection Yard that
provides your trash pickup
service options at Curbside Recycling,
Recycling Bins, HI-5